Welcome to the Conscious Living Book Club!
August’s book is:
From the book’s website:
“Say you’re a time traveller and you’ve already toured the entirety of human history. After a while, the outside world might lose a little of its luster. That’s why this time traveller celebrates his birthday partying with himself. Every year, he travels to an abandoned hotel in New York City in 2071, the hundredth anniversary of his birth, and drinks twelve-year-old Scotch (lots of it) with all the other versions of who he has been and who he will be. Sure, the party is the same year after year, but at least it’s one party where he can really, well, be himself.”
We meet the last Tuesday of every month from 7:30pm – 9pm at The Remarkable Bean, 2242 Queen St. E.
Our next meeting is: Tuesday, August 27th. We will be discussing Man in the Empty Suit by Sean Ferrell and will be choosing our book for September.
Other books on the table for possible future reading include:
- Your Money or Your Life by Dominguez and Robin
- In Defense of Food by Pollan
- How Bad are Bananas: The Carbon Footprint of Everything by Berners-Lee
- Life, Money, and Illusion: Living on Earth as if We Want to Stay by Nickerson
So far, we have read:
- November, 2012: Slow Death by Rubber Duck by Smith & Lourie. Read the blog post on this book!
- December, 2012/January, 2013: Deep Economy by Bill McKibben
- February/March, 2013: Natural Capitalism by Paul Hawken
- April/May, 2013: David Suzuki’s Green Guide by Suzuki & Boyd
- June, 2013: The Great Disruption by Paul Gilding
- July, 2013: Ill Fares the Land by Tony Judt
Suggestions for other books are always welcome! Leave us a comment, send us an email, or bring your suggestions with you to the next book club meeting.
All are welcome at the book club. There is no cost (but supporting the coffee shop would be nice).
Hope to see you there!